Sunday, March 6, 2011

---> MY PRINCESS

Broadcast period: 2011-Jan-05 to 2011-Feb-24


I vowed to do some sorta “marathon” of maybe 3 dramas in a row in lieu of the fact that I have not seen one in 3 or is it 4 months? So 1 down, 2 more to go…yay!

Next on the line for me is another typical rom-com. No worries, this drama will not get too much beating from me just because the chances of it happening in real life is zero, ‘coz really, im getting quite used to watching this kinda stuff by now. Truth be told, im usually more drawn to this types of dramas than your heavy tearjerkers that does nothing really to make me feel good. So I guess a long lost princess who turns out to be an ordinary college student with a bubbly personality and an interesting character may just be the right choice for me to see at this time. Im just looking for amusement, a good laugh and a large dose of eye candy and I think I just might find it in this drama. Oh, and did I forget to mention that Song Seung-Heon , the male lead here also starred in one of my favorite Korean movies entitled “He Was Cool”? so be warned, my judgement may be clouded with biases again…haha… no, no, I’ll be as objective as I could …promise. AND, I will restrain myself from too much fangirling, here goes…

As early as episode 1, I already like the female lead. Lee Seol is a girl who is passionately enthusiastic about anything and everything, lively and perky and petite and pretty. She can be a tinie winie bit manipulative, a bit mercenary and is a certified motor mouth! The male lead as Park Hae Young is just as I remembered him… he’s not really a bad boy here but his character is as cool as the one in the movie. Is he a friend or a foe to our princess ??? Even before SHE became the princess and HE her public servant teacher, from the very beginning their characters are honest and comfortable with each other and it didn’t change even when she basically became his boss …they act according to who they really are, without pretensions, more often than not, in a funny and amusing way. They can freely say what they want to each other no matter how rude or crude or hurtful or sweet those words maybe. This drama is certainly not lacking in a lot of cute and pa-cute(Filipino slang for trying to be cute) scenes. I will not state them one by one, instead I will leave that for you to discover:) oh ok, here’s some of them from the first few episodes, ‘coz really, there’s tons of them here, one after the other until the end of the series .

*when mom first met Hae Yang and she sent the 2 of them Seol’s room and she fell on top of him, how funny and ackward is that:)
*when Seol’s goodbye letter was mistakenly given by the mom in the offerings and the letter was read in the church, embarrassing:)
*when she was in an accident and he gave her like a sponge bath and spoon fed her …sweet
*when he piggy back the princess and that kissss ..haaaaaaaay…
*the confrontation scene between Hae Young and Seol in ep8 is also a highlight of the drama. It shows what a woman’s tears can do to a man’s heart. Its like a weapon that we ladies can use to appeal to man’s sensitive side.
*I don’t think I will ever tire seeing those scenes where you see the leads and the never ending love games that they play. You push the one you love away and then worries about them.

Much as I would like to say that everything is good in this drama, there are some scenes where the jokes are not too funny, some actually borders on the absurd and some …trying waaay too hard to be funny and did not succeed in doing so. Some of the jokes worked but im afraid the others didn’t. actually, im all for those lovey-dovey cheesyness in a rom-com, BUT, that too doesn’t work all the time. Im the type who would watch a cheesy romantic scene over and over and over again IF a particular scene works for me but if it doesn’t …there’s always the fast forward button. Im happy to say that in My Princess I didn’t have to use the FF button too often and those “lovey dovey” moments … wooo, Hae Yang can be the sweetest guy even if sometimes its in a brutal sort of way…luveeet :) BUT, the twist in the story about the ancient royal sachet(im totally clueless why it is called a sachet) in the possession of Seol's sister that’s supposed to put a question mark as to who is the real princess is really, and I mean reeeally, a story line that you cannot use at this day and age …hello, this is the 21st century for chrissakes, so all it will take is just 3 letters …DNA testing! Why do they have to let that twist in the story drag on and on and on as if we the viewer in the confines of our homes will not raise the DNA thing right away as we are watching it …why??? And when the DNA thing did FINALLY came up, guess who brought it up… the most naïve of them all… our Princess, that’s who! Even if this is a rom-com and im not suppose to take it too seriously, there are some things that I cannot swallow ….and that is when writers think that WE the viewing public, are a bunch of stupid morons. Hahaha… why do I always let myself get too engrossed in a drama, lolz, I swear there are times I wanted to punch Seol’s sister in her face and do the same thing to Yoon Joo’s “plastic” face specially when they mock Seol …hahaha, I really should put all this pent-up passion to better use instead of here :):):)

That being said, at the very least, this drama did manage to entertain me enough to even get a “slight” violent reaction from me, well it is still a reaction which means it did not bore me to death. On the contrary this drama did manage to convince me that the leads are in love, I saw and felt the warm tight hugs and loving stares and the kisses, lets not forget that:) I laughed at sometimes how silly the exchanges are of both our leads in an adorable sort of way. Its nice that they can oftentimes both find humor in the middle of a very serious situation. I thought the politics of democracy vs monarchy part of the story could have been a good addition that could have added a little bit of credence to an otherwise very weak material. BUT, that was not the direction the writers went. my guess is, they wanted this drama to be a light material. well, i dunno if its ok if it turns out to be too light, that in its "lightness", it just might be blown away from our sights. what saved it is the individual charisma of our leads onscreen, thank god for that! The pacing of the story is also pretty good that I wasn’t bored for long periods of time, which is quite important otherwise a viewer may just reach for that tv remote control and look and find another drama to watch. im happy that our 2 resident villians did not miraculously turn into angels overnight, Seol's sister and Yoon Joo remained villains until the very end, it makes more sense that way. isn’t there a saying that says, “a leopard does not change its spots”, at least this time the writers credited us with a bit of common sense and took us back to reality, Thank You Very Much.

The Princess gets the best in acting in this drama, sorry SSH, I love you more but she was better here. There were some scenes when I felt you wanted to cry but the tears are just not there, tried but failed ...sorry oppa I said I would be fair :) I guess you get more motivation and inspiration when youre doing a serious melodrama or movie huh? I still love you though :)

The worst thing that happened in this drama …the very nice and upright professor still in love with the very cold and sinister b*tch even after everything that has happened. Some girls are sooo lucky and some men are sooo dumb. The worst thing that could happen to any man is to fall seriously in love with the wrong chick! Those that will bring you nothing but trouble for the rest of your life. Really professor, youre suppose to be a smart guy, what are you thinking? Haizz…

The best thing that happened in this drama …THE LAST TWO EPISODES …2 whole episodes to tie up the loose ends and more importantly for our leads, more time to play and flirt and goof around and be sweety-sweety together minus the stresses AND a glimpse at the future for our diplomat and princess… uber cuteness overload! kdramas are notoriously known for their bad endings, so, yay for this one:):):)

As for this drama's rating, for the first 14 episodes 4 out of 5. and for episodes 15 and 16(final), i'll give it a 4.5 out of 5. AND for something rarely seen on kdramas, a solid 5 for the last "real" smooch.